Friday, February 3, 2012

Roller Coasters and Valentine's Day


What do roller coasters and loosing your husband have to do with each other? Well, for starters its what I do every Valentines Day. WHY?

Because its the anniversary of Chad's death,  and on that day, I do things in his honor to remind me of the life he lived and shared with me...the life that still exists in this life of mine. I do things that honor that contagious laugh, that love for beer and roller coasters. I LIVE because I can. Roller coasters and being a kid for a day is how life was with him and I take one really special day for me to remember this.

Recently, Cindy Nelson, Seattle's MWC Chapter Leader told me of her plan for Valentine's Day- to gift widows and single moms at her church with gift certificates for oil changes. WHY? Because her husband was a mechanic and generously would give back in this way during his life. He was known for his generosity. So, to honor Mike, she continues this and it brings her happiness to be connected to such life. 


What is it your spouse did in this world that was wonderful and is remembered for? When we share and continue these life giving characteristics, they pleasantly bring us life in the process. 

At Modern Widows Club, giving back, connecting to the life around us is a big part of our message. It's what takes you from surviving to thriving. Something as small as taking flowers to another elderly widow in your neighborhood who you might not think you have anything in common, can strengthen a heart like nothing else....in both directions. Life is hard, really hard. When we do our part to make it easier for another, it eases our life in return. 

We would love for you to share what you do to honor your late husband, every effort counts and you never know who is reading this blog and how it will touch them. Share your big love with us and pick up another jewel for your invisible crown. 

From my heart,


P.S. If you'd like to meet other women like you. Come to MWC: Social Hour on Feb. 16, 2012. EVERY 3rd Thursday. It's FREE. Sign in below. 



Want a MWC chapter in your town? Send inquiries to: carolyn@modernwidowsclub.com

2 comments:

  1. Are you just a club for women who have lost their husbands or are men who have lost their wives included? I was just curious as I never see anything geared toward men. Although I have never lost a partner, I have lost siblings who had partners and friends who have lost their husband or wife. I really like this concept. Keep up the good work....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meemer- The short answer, yes, we are a club for women (widows). Your input about never able to find the similar for men (widowers) is statistically true and unfortunate. Men often do not socialize like women do, nor feel compelled to seek out a support group or others with like situations. I wish that would change. Should we start a Modern Widowers Club division? I'd love that, I just need the right man to spear head that since this woman is committed and focused with MWC (we are in our first 6 months).
      Do you have someone who would want to participate, become a leader? Where are you?
      I would LOVE to do workshops ONLY for men.....its very much a GREAT need.
      Thank you, thank you for posting this .
      Carolyn Moor

      Delete